[Beowulf] SGI and Sun: In Memoriam

Glen Beane Glen.Beane at jax.org
Wed Apr 1 08:33:36 PDT 2009

On 4/1/09 10:45 AM, "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> This is a current religious mantra within Sun, that Solaris/Sparc will
(eventually) kill Linux and x86/x64.  Um.  No.

Isn't Sun's biggest business x86-64 hardware running Linux?  My cluster is
all AMD64 Sun gear and they gave us a killer edu discount on it. I've been
very happy with their X2200 series as a cluster node. Actually our
datacenter has a ton of Sun gear in it and we have a site support contract.
I've been to a bunch of Sun HPC consortiums and while some time has been
dedicated to the Niagara platform at each, I'd say the biggest focus is on
x86 hardware.

I guess I may be in the minority on this list, but I'm a pretty big Sun fan
(and I don't use Solaris/Sparc).

--
Glen L. Beane
Software Engineer