[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Apr 1 05:56:46 PDT 2009

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 April 2009 13:58:22 John Hearns wrote:
>> http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2009/april/rackable
>> .html
>>
>> Not an April Fools.
>
> Whoa. That, and IBM eating Sun, the market is really shrinking...

Read the note from SGI.  This was done as a bankruptcy filing this
morning, and not all liabilities are going over.  That is, it is an
asset purchase.  Creditors may still object, and force this to be a
chapter 7 filing (sell the thing bit by bit).  I had been wondering if
they had made their $5M debt service payment on friday, and whether or
not their creditors believed them to be in default.  The speed of this
and its construction, have a feel of a "rush" job ... last minute to
stave off a complete shuttering and sale.

I sympathize with my friends and former co-workers at the company ...
this is a whopper of a layoff ... with likely no severance (SGI was ~3x
Rackable's size w.r.t. people, and I would bet only a small fraction
will follow the asset sale, if Rackable makes them an offer).

Sad day.

As for the market shrinking, well ... this does happen.  We (Scalable)
are happy to help customers out (service/support on existing systems,
new clusters/storage), as is Don's company (Penguin), as are other
companies here.  Some of us are doing well and growing.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO