[Beowulf] OT: speculation regarding the 22nm fab process

Alan Louis Scheinine alscheinine at tuffmail.us
Mon Sep 29 21:20:06 PDT 2008

If you are not interested in optics, press delete now.

Peter St. John wrote
  > Imagine building a process at say 44 nm, then measuring
  > it's output at 22nm precision. I'm considering the 22nm scale
  > measurement as a distortion. Then compute the inverse; apply
  > the inverse to your design; and feed the distored, or as it
  > were encoded, design to the input of the process; it's
  > (measured, not built) effect could be to produce a correct
  > feature at 22nm.

Well, manipulation of an image digitally is not quite the same
as making modifications on the light source, because the
wave nature of light and the wavelength used puts a limit
on what can be done.  While this is not related to Beowulf,
there are many physicists among the esteemed readership,
so I'll summarize what I found with Google.

Future Fab. has an article (subcribers only)
"We discuss how one can find an optimal photomask by rigorously
solving the inverse lithography problem."

An overview of articles seems to me to indicate that
X-Ray lithography has some problems and is behind
schedule so 22nm using UV is being stretched to its
limit.
Warren [of IBM] says the X-ray techniques - which are
sometimes called extreme UV lithography, or EUV - are not
working properly yet. At least not at prices that chip
makers or their customers can bear.

In general, the next generation lithography
(around 32 nm) will use

UV light

water immersion to reduce the wavelength

high numerical aperature, which
increases intensity and also reduces diffraction effects

With regard to 22 nm
Fabtech speculated:
significant increases in mask costs due in part to
the need for double patterning

In June of this year:
Last week Toppan announced what it believes is the industrys
first 32-nm photomask manufacturing process, set to begin volume
production this month.
[I cite this to indicate where we are in fabrication that anyone
can purchase (if you have several tens of millions) as a baseline
in comparison to 22-nm.]