[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Alan Ward award at uda.ad
Mon Sep 29 03:27:24 PDT 2008

Ram disks, definately. ;-)

Afraid I'm still going with diskless nodes. You save

1. some money on the disks themselves
2. more money on solving disk failures
3. yet more money on cooling

This may be specially important in a high-density rack situation, where if you get the disks out of the way each box can get more ventilators up front as well as in the rear.

On the other hand, Windows Vista has had its uses(!), such as driving RAM prices down as demand expands ...

Cheers,
-Alan