[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Sep 25 15:51:40 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 06:34:50PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> So yeah, XML isn't a magic bullet.  I think half of the anger people
> seem to feel for it is because they think it somehow should be.

I'm only upset by XML boosters who are so positive about it. You fall
into this category; when I began picking nits you admitted that XML
has flaws, but until that point, you were preaching its benefits with
no mention of its numerous flaws.

> That's not the point -- the point is that they are easy
> to PARSE so one can easily write and debug a PARSER (or encoder)

So that's why XML parsers are so big and expensive, because it's
"easy".

>> Looks like unreadable crap to me. If this is a good example, it
>> doesn't lend much of a positive spin to your rant.
>
> Oh, please.  Unreadable crap?

Dude, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, in the
eye of the proud pappa. Your baby is ugly. Your argument of "this is
prettier than /proc" is a very weak one. If one person designed /proc
it would probably be prettier than your XML. I'll take Don's beostat
format sight-unseen over your XML.

-- greg