[Beowulf] small cluster cooling / beer fridges

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 06:09:21 PDT 2008

Very neat link.

This is just a thought, but with the advent (or recent popularity) of
"green buildings", could one use the same technique to keep large stores
of computers cool?  That is, could one run a series of pipes deep
(100-500ft) into the ground, maybe fill them with antifreeze or
something more fun that won't freeze and circulate it to cool a room?
It seems to me that if this would work all costs would be quickly
amortized and would save money versus A/C in the long run.

I guess this question is directed at physicists on the list since I
don't fully appreciate/understand all the nuances of heat transfer.

Ellis