[Beowulf] One network, or two?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:21:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 at 9:16pm, Alan Ward wrote

> I have been reading the ongoing discussion on network usage with some
> interest, mainly because in all (admittedly very small, 4 to 8 node)
> clusters we have set up so far, we have always gone with doubling the
> network. Nowadays we mostly run a 100 MBit/s "el cheapo" FastEthernet
> for control, NFS and monitoring, while the faster Gigabit is exclusively
> for MPI. Applications are CFD, with various levels of granularity.

In theory, it's a great idea.  In practice, wiring up an entire 2nd
network gets to be a major PITA (as well as being uncheap) as your cluster
size increases.  I've got ~350 nodes here, and a 2nd set of cabling is
really, really low on the list of projects I'd like to tackle.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin