[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

andrew holway andrew at moonet.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 02:42:13 PDT 2008

We've written our own lightweight monitoring daemon that reports back
to a portal facility back on the master node.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Prentice Bisbal <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:
> The more services you run on your cluster node (gmond, sendmail, etc.)
> the less performance is available for number crunching, but at the same
> time, administration difficulty increases. For example, if you turn off
> postfix/sendmail, you'll no longer get automated e-mails from your
> system to alert you to a problem.
>
> My question is this: how extreme do you go in disabling non-essential
> services on your cluster nodes? Do you turn off *everything* that's not
> absolutely necessary, do you leave somethings running to make
> administration easier?
>
> I'm curious to see how everyone else has their cluster(s) configured.
>
> --
> Prentice

Moonet Ltd, registered in England and Wales No: 06330013 || VAT No: 921 6412 49
12, Westgate House, The Island, Gloucester, GL1 2RU || http://www.moonet.co.uk
Registered Office: Ross House, The Square, Stow on the Wold,
Cheltenham, Glos, GL54 1AF