[Beowulf] Re: MS Cray

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 01:45:33 PDT 2008

On 17 Sep 2008, at 9:35 pm, Joe Landman wrote:

> Some of the organizations I have seen have now, completely thrown
> their hands in the air over it, and hand admin rights on the laptops
> back to the users.  They tell them what they can and cannot break,
> and then let them install/manage their own software (apart from
> corporate software pushes).

Laptops are particularly problematic, usually because (a) they don't
connect to the institutional network often enough to acquire updates,
and (b) because the user usually gets given admin rights, as you say,
so that they can make changes that might be required while they're
away at a conference or whatever.  They are definitely a major
headache for me...

Tim