[Beowulf] Q: AMD Opteron (Barcelona) 2356 vs Intel Xeon 5460

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Wed Sep 17 12:43:36 PDT 2008

Sangamesh B wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
>      Recently I benchmarked a Fortran based Scientific application on
> both Intel Xeon Quad core and AMD Opteron Quad core with RHEL 5.
> Following are the results:
>
>                                                AMD-2.3GHz
>                INTEL-2.33GHz
>
> 1. Serial                                   147.719
> sec                                73.952 sec
>
> 2. Parallel 4 core                        39.798
> sec                                32.317 sec
>
> 3. Parallel 8 core                        26.880
> sec                                30.371 sec
I'll go ahead and assume your "Fortran based Sci app" is memory bound
and this might be why the AMD based parallel version scales a little
better given it's using HT as communication fabric (non-shared MMU).

>       For AMD, I used GCC compiler(gfortran), which is released by AMD
> for its barcelona-AMD fam10 based processors.
>
>       For Intel, Intel 10 compilers.
Which compile flags were used? Also, note that I've had issues with icc
generating really fast but inaccurate code (fp model is not IEEE *by
default*, I am sure _everyone_ knows this and I am stating the obvious
here).

The figures are interesting but you could get a tad higher in the
information by using the time utility ( the one from
http://www.gnu.org/directory/time.html ) with the -v option. This way we
can get a hint of cache use/misses and all sorts of generally neat stuff
(without getting into profiling).