[Beowulf] MS Cray

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Sep 17 09:32:33 PDT 2008

Dear Beowulf fans

Since I posted the Cray CX1 announcement,
just to be fair to other players,  here are some of them:

1) SiCortex has a Linux and MIPS (72 processors)
based "deskside supercomputer".
They claim it to work with 300W of power.
Of course, being Linux, it requires Linux literacy to use.
See:

http://sicortex.com/products/sc072_pds/sc072_pds_datasheet

2) NVidia is advertising its Tesla series,
although this GPU-based deskside system will probably work
as a "deskside co-processor" rather than as a "deskside supercomputer".
Literacy in CUDA, not only in C and Linux, is probably required to use
it effectively.
GPU experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
See:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_8_series.html

There may be more "deskside supercomputers" out there,
and I apologize to anyone that may have been omitted.
NEC had something called SX-8i, I think, not very long ago.
If the Cray CX1 idea sticks and the machines sell, it is likely that other
companies will launch similar product lines.

***

Deskside supercomputers, and even bigger ones,
are starting to be marketed as "plug-and-play", as something that
requires little, if any,
system administration and maintenance
(proprietary hardware and maintenance fees are rarely mentioned),
and not much computer literacy to be used.
Other postings to this thread already pointed this out.
All they need is an available power outlet on your office wall ( ... how
about an Ethernet port?),
and similar marketing arguments.

They are marketed in contrast to clusters,
which are pictured as complicated beasts, hard and expensive to maintain,
requiring dedicated IT personnel, sucking more power, and leading to
higher TCO.
The logic presented to decision makers would be that, besides being user
friendly,
what you pay upfront for these machines you recover quickly in IT
salaries and utility bills.

Gus Correa