[Beowulf] MS Cray

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Sep 16 15:39:20 PDT 2008

Gus Correa wrote:

> Otherwise, your "newbie scientist" can put his/her earbuds and pump up
> the volume on his Ipod,
> while he/she navigates through the Vista colorful 3D menus.

Owie .... I can just imagine the folks squawking about this at SC08 "Yes
folks, you need a Cray supercomputer to make Vista run at acceptable
performance ..."

The machine seems to run w2k8.  My own experience with w2k8 is that,
frankly, it doesn't suck.  This is the first time I have seen a windows
release that I can say that about.

The low end economics probably won't work out for this machine though,
unless it is N times faster than some other agglomeration of Intel-like
products.  Adding windows will add cost, not performance in any
noticeable way.

The question that Cray (and every other vendor building non-commodity
units) is how much better is this than a small cluster someone can
build/buy on their own?  Better as in faster, able to leap more tall
buildings in a single bound, ... (Superman TV show reference for those
not in the know).  And the hard part will be justifying the additional
cost.  If the machine isn't 2x the performance, would it be able to
justify 2x the price?  Since it appears to be a somewhat well branded
cluster, I am not sure that argument will be easy to make.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com