[Beowulf] Hijacking topics

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Tue Sep 9 16:39:43 PDT 2008

This is classic for this list.
The topic:
"Re: Re: GPU boards and cluster servers."
Gets turned into a discourse on Dell hardware and related.

Meanwhile, the (useful) question:
"Subject: [Beowulf] Q: AMD Opteron (Barcelona) 2356 vs Intel Xeon 5460

Very likely a hopeless question, with this little information, but just
in case:
Does anyone have any 'real world' experience with 'both' of these CPUs,
in terms of relative performance for 'whatever work you do' ?
I realize the xeon is a faster mhz part (3.16ghz xeon vs 2.3ghz opteron)
so I'm more concerned with "relative performance per mhz" "
Gets totally ignored.

Pardon me, ignored except for the guy who wrote:
"We have "only" the Quad-Xeon boxes with E5435 and these are quite fast,
indeed it seems that FFTW seems to run faster on Xeons but I have not
made any benchmarks for the past ~ 9 months, so I don't know about the
latest Opterons."

<sigh>

Sorry to disturb.. let the babbling continue.

--
With our best regards,

//Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771/
/Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772/
/11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com/
/Edmonton, AB, Canada         http://www.harddata.com//
/     T5X 1Y3/
/