[Beowulf] Re: GPU boards and cluster servers

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 10 16:46:39 PDT 2008

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> John,
>
> I'd go for AMD thing.

[justification for above snipped]

This all may be true, but I don't see anything
on the AMD web site that's anywhere near as complete
as the CUDA development tools on the NVidia site.

What I'm hearing from putting my ears to the
railroad tracks is the OpenCL is going to
be the Great Unification of all the various
approaches to GPU computing. This is because
the application vendors can't stand doing a CUDA
port, an AMD port, ... With OpenCL in theory
they'll only have to do one port, and the tool
chain creators will only have to create one
tool chain.

Anyway, I wasn't really asking about all this.
I was only wondering which board provides the
most power for the least amount of money for
a near-term pilot project.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest