[Beowulf] Monitoring crashing machines

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Tue Sep 9 03:40:21 PDT 2008

>Does this capture (almost) everything what happens to a machine? w have
>not yet looked into syslog-ng but a looks into your config files would
>be very nice.

You can also configure any standard (distribution shipped) syslog to log
remotely to your head node or even a seperate logging master.  Anything that
gets reported to the syslog facility can be reported/archived in this
manner, you just need to dig into the documentation (e.g. man syslog, man
syslog.conf, man 5 syslog, etc) to figure out the configuration you need.
It is actually pretty straight-forward. Logging the I/O errors or any other
kernel driver output should be no problem.

Most standard syslog mechanisms will not let you cleanly create a hierarchy
such as what syslog-ng will give you, but I find that simply grepping one or
two central log files works better for me, anyways.

-geoff