[Beowulf] Re: GPU boards and cluster servers.

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:13:07 PDT 2008

Joe Landman wrote:
> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> I'm sure even in the computer world a similar rule applies. $ = cheap
>> components, $$= better components, etc.
>
> A Xeon is a Xeon is a Xeon.
>
> Some RAM DIMM builders use ... ah ... less than spectacular ... parts.
>
> But peel off some of the carefully applied labels on the tier-1 units
> and you find some ... interesting ... things beneath (usually the labels
> that say you void your warranty if you remove them).

Been there, done that.

I love that SGI wanted $4k for a fibre-channel HBA for an Origin 350,
which was made by QLogic, and bought the exact same thing for only $800
from CDW. Of course, SGI would refuse to support it if I ever had a tech
support issue, but that never happened. I know Sun and the other big
Unix Co's did the same thing, which is why we all use Linux on commodity
hardware these days.

--
Prentice