[Beowulf] Security issues

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 23:06:29 PDT 2008

On 25 Oct 2008, at 5:01 am, Matt Lawrence wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Alan Ward wrote:
>> Perhaps an alternative way to go for a cluster install disk would
>> be a bog standard Debian/Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu boot iso image,
>> with a customized install script that pulls in a suplementary set
>> of packages over the network and does some extra configuration (NFS
>> server, PXE server etc).
> Close.  I recommend a very short and simple script that installs a
> configuration management system such as Puppet, cfengine or bcfg2
> and then those do all the other work.  Once the infrastructure is
> set up, it is very easy to do with CentOS and kickstart.

Yep, that's what we do.  We actually use the same Debian FAI
installation infrastructure for everything; compute nodes, head nodes,
desktops, database servers (except Oracle), you name it.  cfengine
takes care of tweaking the configuration and installed packages to the
actual purpose of the machine.