[Beowulf] slightly [OT] smp boxes

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 20 12:16:45 PDT 2008

> http://www.numascale.com.
> Large scale NUMA architecture at cluster pricing.

that's fairly exciting!  is this stuff somehow related to the
newisys horus system?

> Disclaimer: Yes I work for them. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to
> answer them.

OK, what's the memory profile like?  ie, latency for memory from
l1 cache hit all the way to all-misses-farthest-node.  it would be
nice to know a bit more about the actual fabric (dolphinics-sci-like?
the whitepaper mentions "PCI Express Gen-2 type signals", but what
does that mean?  also, the WP seems pretty HT/Opteron-specific;
plans for intel support?  I know of only a few systems which ship
with HTX slots - not an endangered species?  also, <1us MPI latency
sounds good, but I'm not clear on the bandwidth: what kind of single
pair bandwidth is possible, as well as all-pairs?

thanks, mark hahn.