[Beowulf] slightly [OT] smp boxes

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:51:20 PDT 2008

Mark Hahn wrote:

>> but there are newer Altix systems
>> (XE series) that use x86-based processors.
>
> just IB clusters.  I don't think any SW NUMA is included, or do they
> support ScaleMP?

It is my understanding that the Altix architecture is nothing more than
the Origin NUMA architecture modified to accept Intel Itanium and
(later) Xeon processors. Not IB at all, but a true expandable NUMA
architecture. Am I wrong, or is the XE series that much different?

SGI was marketing a ScaleMP vSMP system called the Fusion 1200, that was
actually made by another company, VXTECH. When I first learned about it,
 had SGI logos on it and everything, but it looks like that's no longer
the case:

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/3rd_party/downloads/092606_fusion1200.pdf
http://www.vxtech.com/products/product-categories.php?null=3&id1=17&lvl=2

--