[Beowulf] Nehalem Xeons

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 15 15:57:10 PDT 2008

I feel it's a double edged sword.

Usually when intel ships a great new part, all the sites are
discussing it and 1 or 2 vague tests show up.
AMD seems to use the path you describe below.

Suddenly K7-MP 1.2ghz was there crushing P4 Xeon 1.7Ghz at the time.
Suddenly opteron was there at 2.2Ghz crushing anything intel had
bigtime, including itanium (integer wise).

What AMD ships usually gets benchmarked. Intel nowadays seems to
release special benchmark chips,
eating a 150+ watt and having some unrealistic high price.

Look who sells better though.

It's obvious that making noise with all drums you have in a nonstop
manner,
about upcoming great release, is a lot more effective, than AMD's non-
existing marketing.

For a company worth $10-$20 billion (or what is it?) that's nonstop
nearly bankrupt nearly releasing some great new
product, it should be possible to pay a good marketing manager from
the interest at the bankloan.

Marketing is everything.

Vincent