[Beowulf] Re: PowerEdge SC 1435: Unexplained Crashes.

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Oct 15 06:03:37 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:19:41PM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> And you can always lie to the support - CentOS, for all practical and
>> technical purposes, *IS* RHEL.
>
> But this requires cleverness -- often install scripts and the like
> look at /etc/redhat-release or the redhat-release rpm.

The important thing is that they are *scripts*, which means you can read
them, figure out what they are doing, and either modify them to suit
your RHEL rebuild, or modify /etc/redhat-release to contain what they
are looking for. I never saw one that looked at the redhat-release rpm.

The only thing I couldn't get to install on Fedora or CentOS was the EMC
PowerPath software. There were unique kernel modules for every RHEL
kernel version, and for some reason they refused to install. Since they
were closed-source, I couldn't figure out why.

But now we've veered off-topic, which I really hate...

--
Prentice