[Beowulf] kdump / kexec to optain crash dumps from randomly crashing nodes.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:57:39 PDT 2008

On my Centos system I installed kexec/kdump to investigate the cause of
some random system-crashes by getting access to a crash-dump. I installed
the rpm for kexec and then made the change to grub.conf that reserves the
additional memory for the new kernel.

Also configured kdump.conf. I start the kexec service.and then I tried to
simulate a crash by echo c to sysrq-trigger.

The system does crash and then after a while reboots itself. But I see no
vmcore when it coms back up. /var/crash is empty. This is when I tried to
write to local drive.

I also tried a nfs write but then still no success.

Any idea what could be missing in my steps? Or any other debug
suggestions? Any other kdump users on Beowulf?