[Beowulf] IKEA priced supercomputer - the Helmer cluster

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 5 12:33:46 PDT 2008

This is great stuff to read :)

Those Swedes can do everything with wood it seems :)

Especially the IKEA idea and the height comparision with the Michael
Johnson shoe gave me some great laughs :)

Maybe you can modify the drawers of the ikea box and then have also
real easy maintenance with them.

Without kidding, it's a great idea, and even better that it got
documented. I should do that too in case i win the lottery
and can make a cluster here.

Do i see it correct that maintenance an entire mainboard can get
shifted to outside?
How can maintenance be done?

What i kind of miss is how to get the iron backplates where the fans
and psu's fit in and how a possible highend network,
in my case 2nd hand can be mounted into it.

More pictures from how it looks like would be fantastic for those who
want to take a look at how to themselves make
a bunch of nodes in this manner; simply how it looks like.

It seems to me it can store a lot of ATX mainboards in real cheap
manner. The way
the cooling gets blown into the case doesn't seems very professional
to me. Does it limit maintenance to the motherboards?

Vincent