[Beowulf] Accelerator for data compressing

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 3 09:13:46 PDT 2008

Well that's obvious what happens there, that's not really new,
already the old good pkzip was storing files it couldn't compress
uncompressed.

Note the type of files you mention you can compress quite well still
with PPM, which really is nothing new anymore.

All the old zippers are LZ77/Huffman/RLE based, so they miss the big
picture always.
JPG is a lot tougher to compress well, but well as i said, there is
always the cheap option of a filesystem storing that uncompressesd :)

What gets shipped however most over the networks is XML data from all
those media networks.
Now that compresses *real well*.
Just compress it single time and keep it compressed :)

Vincent