[Beowulf] What class of PDEs/numerical schemes suitable for GPU clusters

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Nov 20 06:58:27 PST 2008

> Ellis, I can't say re. the Firestream cards, but for Nvidia the answer is a
> resounding yes.

AMD had some PR recently (check the reg and inq) about supporting their
stream stuff across the whole product line, including chipset-integrated
gpus.  that seems intelligent, given that lines between CPU and GPU are
obviously blurring in the future (Larrabee, Fusion, etc).

IMO, it would be crazy to invest too much in the current gen of gp-gpu
programming stuff.  doing some pilot stuff with both vendors probably
makes sense, but the field really does need OpenCL to succeed.  I hope
the OpenCL people are not too OpenGL-ish, and realize that they need
to target SSE and SSE512 as well.

> Virtually any recent card can run CUDA code. If you Google you can get a
> list of compatible cards.

not that many NVidia cards support DP yet though, which is probably
important to anyone coming from the normal HPC world...  there's some
speculation that NV will try to keep DP as a market segmentation
feature to drive HPC towards high-cost Tesla cards, much as vendors
have traditionally tried to herd high-end vis into 10x priced cards.

regards, mark hahn.