[Beowulf] What class of PDEs/numerical schemes suitable for GPU clusters

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 16:18:35 PST 2008

From: John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>
To: "Finch, Ralph" <rfinch at water.ca.gov>; beowulf at beowulf.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] What class of PDEs/numerical schemes suitable for GPU clusters

and to run Beowulf class systems efficiently. Yes, for certain algorithms and certain problems CUDA and Firestream accelerate things by 10, 20...100 times. But don't lose track of the amount of power in the current generation - and imminent Shanghai and Nehalem systems.

This said, I've had a nagging question of late - if I purchase an ATI desktop graphics card that has streams akin to the official workstation FireStream GPU processor, can I write code using their SDK that will work on the desktop cards, often times within my college kid budget, unlike the FireStream series?

Ellis