[Beowulf] Re: Purdue Supercomputer

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun May 11 13:22:32 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:42:18PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> >Hi,
> >To implement full IPMI capability on the system board, then you need
> >two separate and independent power distribution systems on the system
> >board I believe, which is why they implement IPMI with a daughterboard.
> +5volt standby from the atx power supply is used to provide wake-on-lan
>   functionality and power a ipmi implementation. it is available when
> the system is otherwise off.
Hi Joel,
Yes, but a separate and distinct power distribution for that +5 volt
supply will then need to be implemented on the system board to support
a full IPMI implementation residing on the system board. That was my
point. You are confusing power source with implemented PCB power

 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306