[Beowulf] Purdue Supercomputer

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Sun May 4 10:02:42 PDT 2008

On Saturday 03 May 2008 23:41:08 Mark Hahn wrote:
> I'm guessing it's mainly just the monkey work.  I've heard that dell
> always delivers each server in a separate box,

Not necessarily. Our 288-nodes Dell cluster has been delivered in fully
populated and pre-cabled racks. All the racking and internal cabling was
done at the Merge Center [1]. The only "boxes" we received were 11 wooden
crates, from which we extracted the racks, ready to be interconnected
(this had to be done on site, obviously, and Dell sent in a team to do the
IB cabling and finalize the installation).

Purdue's "the day we rack" is brilliant PR, though.

Cheers,
--
Kilian

[1]http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/services/adi/dps_hpcc?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz