[Beowulf] "Code" vs. "Codes"

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Mon Mar 31 14:36:18 PDT 2008

You got me curious about this so I did a little looking around, and found
the following:

 <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/00-database-info?db=foldoc> Free
On-line Dictionary of Computing -
<http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=codes&ia=foldoc> Cite This
Source -  <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/codes#sharethis#sharethis>
Share This

codes
1. Programs. This usage is common among scientific computing people who use
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supercumputers> supercumputers for
heavy-duty  <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/number%20crunching>
number crunching.
2. Something to do with
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cryptography> cryptography.
[ <http://dictionary.reference.com/go/http:/www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/> The
Jargon File]
(1994-10-28)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2007 Denis Howe

 <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/00-database-info?db=jargon> Jargon
File -  <http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=codes&ia=jargon> Cite
This Source -
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/codes#sharethis#sharethis> Share
This

codes

n. [scientific computing] Programs. This usage is common in people who hack
supercomputers and heavy-duty
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/number-crunching> number-crunching,
rare to unknown elsewhere (if you say "codes" to hackers outside scientific
computing, their first association is likely to be "and cyphers").

Jargon File 4.2.0

Citation:

codes. Dictionary.com. The American Heritage® Science Dictionary. Houghton
Mifflin Company.  <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/codes>
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/codes (accessed: March 31, 2008).

It does not answer your question as to when or how it got started, but
apparently it has been with us a while.

-geoff