[Beowulf] visualization machine

Ricardo Reis rreis at aero.ist.utl.pt
Fri Mar 28 08:22:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> For truly high-end 3D, there is (still, unfortunately) really no alternative
> to closed source drivers.  nouveua (for nvidia hardware) isn't there yet, and
> the open source radeon stuff doesn't support any of their newer hardware.
> Also, AFAIK, neither project supports the professional series of cards
> (Quadro/FireGL).

I've though NVIDIA because of ATI bad rep on their linux drivers. Yes,
shure, they aren't open source (yet? maybe AMD buying ATI will change this
in the long run) but don't know anyone with bad experiences on them. I
will gladly admit having a biased population for this statistic but that's
my perception.

I think I'll end building a ultra gamers PC... Something that gives me the
puzzles is whats the different between consumer and server Quad processors
for Intel (for the money you're paying, I mean)...

  greets,

  Ricardo Reis

  'Non Serviam'

  PhD student @ Lasef
  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
  http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

  &

  Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
  http://www.radiozero.pt