[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists" still OT

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 16:38:42 PDT 2008

Prentice,

Yes. You may get flamed, but the US (and Canada) produce remarkable food per
acre and per man-hour, compared to anyone else. Technology, the heavy
industry and infrastructure for the tech to proliferate, fertilizer,
irrigation, and a continent worth of arable land. Our food is actually
pretty cheap. One guy breaking his back for an acre in the third world works
the acre cheaper than we can, but he does not produce as much food per acre
as we do, so he can't feed his neighbors.

But to do this in the third world takes not just the technology, but the
infrastructure to support it, and social changes. In a society where more
food directly means more babies (because if more babies, there is a higher
chance one of them will live long enough to take care of me in my old age),
there can never be enough food. Alot has to change, socially, politically,
technologically, industrially. Plus not everyone has as much arable land as
in North America. Europe has all the tech but is older, more crowded, less
arable land per capita.

Everything is complicated.

Peter