[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists" still OT

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Wed Jun 25 09:04:38 PDT 2008

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> Some 3d world country managers are begging to adress this issue: "My
> nations people die,
> as your bio fuel raises our food prices, the poor are so poor here,
> they use that stuff as food
> and cannot afford it now".
>
> USA nor Europe can *never* produce that stuff as cheap as 3d world
> countries can.

Since my uncle held a patent on an Alcohol Fuel still, and my
grandfather grew corn, I have a somewhat different view. I'm not sure
where your information is coming from. According to
http://www.earth-policy.org/, the US produced 414 Million tons of grain
last year. Of that total 81 Million tons were used for fuel and 106
Million tons were exported. While it might be less expensive to produce
grain in the 3rd world, the top exporter of Corn, Rice and Wheat for the
world is the US.
http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2008/Update69_data.htm#table10

http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2008/Update69_data.htm#table9

Now since corn prices have been rather stagnant until recently for
almost 30 years and since I know farmers that have burned corn for heat
rather than sell at a loss. I see the increase in grain prices as
neutral. Yes, there are bad results for the third world. But those
farmers growing grain deserve a fair price for the work and uncertainty
of agriculture.