[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 25 08:05:14 PDT 2008

It is not about what we do in the EU and/or what happens in USA.

That is the typical short sighted view of politicians who decided on
the subsidy.

What matters is that the 'biofuel' of course does get imported from
South America and Africa and that it causes in THOSE countries a huge
inflation of food.

Some 3d world country managers are begging to adress this issue: "My
nations people die,
as your bio fuel raises our food prices, the poor are so poor here,
they use that stuff as food
and cannot afford it now".

USA nor Europe can *never* produce that stuff as cheap as 3d world
countries can.

Agriculture in USA and Europe only exists because of protectionism
(without me taking a viewpoint
on protectionistic measures).

For biofuels there is always manners to import all those different
types of food, creating at its
LOCAL market a huge food shortage and inflation of food prices for
the poor, a lot of whom die
as a result.

Not a single EU rule will be able to avoid that it gets imported and
later on somehow subsidy on
bio-fuel causes it to get burned for energy, whereas it is of course
a pathetic expensive form of
energy. There is always a manner to get the stuff into the country.
For example you want to produce
product X of it. By accident after import production line of X gets
left with 95% waste product,
which then you burn for bio-fuel.

So food of the poor ends up as biofuel, good for only a very tiny %
of all energy produced and "by accident"
always a smaller % than the % of energy that gets heavily subsidized
for being bio-fuel!

Yet if you deduce macro-economically, it is LOGICAL that the stuff
that gets used to produce the cheapest
food for the poor, also has a price low enough to get cheaply
imported from those 3d world countries to
our nation, to get burned as bio-fuel.

The poorest of the poorest can afford that stuff only because it is
the cheapest thing on planet earth,
and we are taking it away from them just for some stupid subsidized
bio-energy!

Vincent