[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Jun 25 07:50:42 PDT 2008

I've never really bought the argument that biofuels are causing a food
shortage considering that there is still so much unused farmland in the US
and farming practices here in the EU.  I must admit this out of my field so
I have no real evidence to support my suspicion, but there have been a
trickle of articles from publications like Der Spiegel and the NY Times
which indicate there is some suspicion these shortages have just as much to
do with commodity speculation and manipulation.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/12/business/speculate.php
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,559550,00.html (in English)

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Deutschland