[Beowulf] Go-playing machines

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 24 13:29:20 PDT 2008

Hi Peter,

At the risk of being off topic. A few points.

First of all we must distinguish computers and humans. For chess and
go this is completely the same:
the choices that get made at start of the game decide its outcome
with a high degree of certainty;

In computer chess i launched the slogan a few years ago:
	"the move that matters most for the game is the first move out of book"

Being a titled player myself  (FIDE master),
this was of course easy to judge and it still is the case.

This might get explained especially because of the limited knowledge
that a program has as compared to a human playing.

At human level, if we look to what happens in go at the highest
level, is that nearly all time gets spent the first few moves of the
game.

Chess and Go and 10x0 international checkers are all the same in that
respect.

The real strong titled players are that strong that it is relative
easy for them to play the last few moves based upon technique to
assure the win,
as opposed to the start of the game when 'book theory' ends. In go of
course that last is rather soon.

Vincent