[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Jun 18 16:37:02 PDT 2008

Not that this mailing list is an appropriate place to discuss this, but...

Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl> writes:
> Treaty, if i read it well, makes problems using public key above 512
> bits.
>
> So according to that treaty, if i read it correct, trying to do anything
> with a SSH which uses usually 1024 bits RSA, is already meaning you
> are a criminal category 5 (highest category).

Er, no. That's totally false in every way.

There may be countries where this is true, but certainly in the United
States, there is no problem implementing and using crypto with any
length keys you like. You are also allowed to make available arbitrary
open source crypto software for export so long as you send one email
to alert a particular agency that you're doing so, and if software is
available commercially it can also be exported with minimal trouble.

Ten or fifteen years ago, things were different, but that was ten or
fifteen years ago.

And yes, I am an expert on this subject. I run a very large mailing
list on security and cryptography.

If you want to discuss this, I suspect this is not the right place to
do it.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com