[Beowulf] HPC Position available in Durham, NC
sean at duke.edu
Wed Jun 18 07:37:31 PDT 2008
(I'm resending this as the first version had an html attachment that was
too big for this list)
If there are any experience HPC Sysadmins in the Raleigh-Durham area or
looking to move to it, please take a look at this job posting. We're
stepping up our HPC and Research Computing efforts and are looking for
an extra Systems Administrator to help with the extra load.
If you have any questions about the position, please feel free to
contact me off-list.
*If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line at
http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/external.html and use 400214967 in the
requisition number field.
POSITION TITLE: Analyst, IT (High Performance Computing)
JOB CODE: 2423
JOB BAND / LEVEL: C
JOB FAMILY: 08 (Information Technology)
WORK SCHEDULE: Normal hours worked
DEPARTMENT CONTACT: Stephen Galla (galla at duke.edu)
High Performance Computing is an important component of shared services
provided by Duke’s Office of Information Technology (OIT). Work in this
position involves planning, implementing, and supporting Duke’s Shared
Cluster Resource (DSCR) and other high performance computing
environments in support of research computing. The DSCR is a High
Performance Computing Cluster (HPCC) designed for parallel and
single-threaded jobs. The DSCR runs Linux and Sun Grid Engine (batch
scheduler). This position reports to the Sr. Manager of Collaborative
Systems and will work closely with OIT’s management, systems
administrators and researchers to provide operational support of high
A working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or CentOS is
required. Familiarity with programming languages (including Shell, Perl,
Java, PHP, and Ruby) is preferred.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
· Administration of Duke’s Shared Cluster Resource (DSCR) and
other high performance computing environments.
· Interfacing with peer administrators supporting Linux based
· Interfacing with researchers to plan and implement
participation within the cluster.
· Proactively initiate measures to ensure operational
availability and performance of the DSCR.
· Respond, troubleshoot, resolve and document system incidents.
· Maintain monitoring, logging, backup and restoration of the
· Ability to work within a team in a demanding, fast-paced
· Must have good planning and organizational skills, strong
verbal and written communication skills.
· Highly motivated individual able to drive projects to completion.
· Ability to handle multiple concurrent activities and have a
flexible, positive attitude.
· Demonstrated ability to track, organize, prioritize and execute
project and operational workloads.
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The most qualified candidates will exhibit demonstrated ability or
experience in the following areas.
· Solid working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or
CentOS, networking and account management.
· Experience packaging, installing and supporting 3rd party
· Experience with scripting and programming languages (Shell,
Perl, Java, PHP, and Ruby).
· Experience with kick start and the management of a large number
· Experience with NFS and NIS.
· Experience with NetApp filers.
· Ability to write end-user documentation for non-technical staff.
· Experience developing project plans and time estimates.
· Proven design and debugging skills.
· Familiarity with SGE (Sun Grid Engine) and other distributed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
· Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience to
a BA or BS in Math or Computer Science or related field.
DATE OF POSTING: June 17, 2008
More information about the Beowulf