[Beowulf] Infiniband modular switches

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:52:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 17:55 +0200, Jan Heichler wrote:
> Hallo Ramiro,
>

> RAQ> The alternatives are:
>

> RAQ> a) Start with a good 24 port swith and grow up loosing latency
> and
>
> RAQ> bandwidth
>

> You can use the 24-port switches to create a full bisectional
> bandwidth network if you want that. Since all the big switches are
> based on the 24-port silicon this is no problem.

Yes, But How many ports must I waste if I do not want to loose to much
bandwidth.
And about latency, It could be negligible compared to latency at the
infiniband card (~3 microsecs in front of 480 nanosecs at switch),
right?

> RAQ> c) Use the Flextronix 10U 144 Port Modular solution which will
> allow us
>
> RAQ> to scale well in a couple years
>

> But you have to pay now for an expansion that you might never get...
> Or want a fancy new network technology as soon as you upgrade.

Well, I most probably will be needing 48 ports in five months and 120
ports in about a year

Thanks for your answer

Regards

--
Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,