[Beowulf] A couple of interesting comments

Matt Allen malallen at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 6 11:10:43 PDT 2008

 > cool tricks to consistently set the BIOS

We had a cluster of systems that supported configuring the BIOS from
an image on a bootable floppy.  I bought 96 3.5" floppy disks, put one
in each node, and then used parallel scp to dd the desired image to
each node's floppy from an NFS mount.  Then I power-cycled them
simultaneously, and listened to the sound of 96 floppy disks being
read at the same time (more or less).  I'm sure I'll never hear that
sound again in my life.

I'm not sure how relevant or cool that was (and it did take a few
minutes to eject all those disks afterwards), but it took less time
than rebooting each node, for sure, and I had a desk full of spare
floppy disks for two or three years after that.

Matt

- --
812.855.7318 voice
Research Technologies - High-Performance Systems
hps-admin at iu.edu - http://rtinfo.uits.indiana.edu/hps/