[Beowulf] A couple of interesting comments

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Fri Jun 6 15:55:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

> We recently purchased a set of hardware for a cluster from a hardware vendor.
> We've encountered a couple of interesting issues with bringing the thing up
> that I'd like to get group comments on.  Note that the RFP and negotiations
> specified this system was for a cluster installation, so there would be no
> misunderstanding...
>
> 1.  We specified "No OS" in the purchase so that we could install CentOS as
> our base.  We got a set of systems with a stub OS, and an EULA for the
> diagnostics embedded on the disk.  After clicking thru the EULA, it tells us
> we have no OS on the disk, but does not fail to PXE.

And standing on the perforated floor tiles in front of the system
performing this task all day long has left me with sore and very cold
feet.  The good news is that the cooling in there is working much better.

Our student worker is on vacation sailing in the Carribean, so I get the
abuse....

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.