[Beowulf] OFED/IB for FC8

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jun 4 22:36:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:52 -0600, Michael H. Frese wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> We are willing to try a build from source, but we are unsure of what
> challenges might lie down that path.

I agree with Greg.
Build it from source - that way you will have the latest version (1.3),
you will learn about the software stack whilst doing it and you will
know which switches were used during the configuration process.
Depending solely on distribution supplied RPMs for any HPC type software
is a bad move IMHO - as you've just seen it might not have a feature you
need, or might not install exactly the way you want it. And you'll
always have the version supplied by the distribution, and won't be able
to update if you hit a bug or need a new feature.

Remember, we're in the era of open source. That's why you chose to use
Linux - you have control.

John Hearns