[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Jul 30 17:39:30 PDT 2008

----- "Bogdan Costescu" <Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Chris Samuel wrote:
>
> > 1) Use a mainline kernel, we've found benefit of that
> > over stock CentOS kernels.
>
> Care to comment on this statement ?

a) We found that we got better performance out of
the mainline kernels than the CentOS ones; we guess
because they handle newer hardware better (RHEL is
meant to aim for stability over performance)

b) We can use XFS for scratch space rather than being
tied to the RHEL One True Filesystem (ext3) which
(in our experience) can't handle large amounts of disk
I/O.

YMMV!

cheers,
Chris