[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Ivan Oleynik iioleynik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:33:16 PDT 2008

> vendors have at least list prices available on their websites.

I saw only one vendor siliconmechanics.com that has online integrator.
Others require direct contact of a saleperson.

> "thermal management"?  servers need cold air in front and unobstructed
> exhaust.  that means open or mesh front/back (and blanking panels).

Yes, are there other options? Built-in airconditioning unit that will
exhaust the hot air through a pipe to dump the air outside  computer room
other than heating it?

> wouldn't a 5100-based board allow you to avoid the premium of fbdimms?

May be I am wrong but I saw only FB-DIMMs options and assumed that we need
to wait for Nehalems for DDR3?

>  - WD Caviar 750 Gb SATA HD
>>  :
>> $110
>>

> I usually figure a node should have zero or as many disks as feasible.

We prefer to avoid intensive IO over network, therefore, use local scratch.

> HP is safe and solid and not cheap.  for a small cluster like this, I don't
> think vendor integration is terribly important.

Yes, it is important. Optimized cost is what matters.