[Beowulf] problem with binary file on NFS

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassmannshausen at tugraz.at
Tue Jul 22 03:04:26 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I have a problem with a selfwritten program on my small cluster. The cluster
nodes are PIII 500/800 MHz machines, the /home is distributed via NFS from a
PIII 1 GHz machine. All nodes are running on Debian Etch. The program in
question (polymc_s) is in the users /home directory and is running on all
nodes but one. I get the following error messages on that particular node
(node4):
ldd polymc_s
        not a dynamic executable

 file polymc_s
polymc_s: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.4.1,
not stripped

 strace ./polymc_s
execve("./polymc_s", ["./polymc_s"], [/* 18 vars */]) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot
allocate memory)
+++ killed by SIGKILL +++
Process 2177 detached

I am currently running memtest, no problems thus far. Other programs like the
BOINC stuff (I am using that for stress-testing) are ok. Reuti already
suggested to do:
readelf -a polymc_s
which gave identical outputs on node4 and node3 (both are PIII 500 MHz
machines). I am somehow stuck here, has anybody got a good idea? Running the
software locally does not make any difference, i.e. same errors as above.
Changing the file permissions did not mend it either. I am aware these are
old nodes, but for the purpose they are ok.

All the best from Graz!

Jörg
Jörg Saßmannshausen
Institut für Chemische Technologie von Materialien
TU-Graz
Stremayrgasse 16
8010 Graz
Austria