[Beowulf] Re: Religious wars

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Jul 21 11:46:16 PDT 2008

"Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:
> Speaking of which, wouldn't it be a kick to design a programming
> language CALLED Rune, one that only can be used on GUI systems, that
> uses elvish runes for all the standard commands and parameters?
> Programming has become too easy;

Given how crappy most programs I read are, I'd say we don't have to
worry about it having become too easy.

> This is the sad truth.  I can survive without using emacs, and besides,
> I can use it in an emergency.  But nobody can manage systems without
> knowing vi.

It is also sometimes good to know how to use ed, though it has been
some years since I have dealt with a machine so screwed up that this
was necessary.

>> I may just give in, and go full force into VIM.  It is active, has
>> lots of features, and I already know basic vi from use for years.
>> And its undo feature doesn't blow chunks.
>
> Aaaiiieeee!  Spawn of Satan!  Get thee behind me, Devil!

nvi (which is the only "real" vi worth speaking of these days) doesn't
have trouble with undo etc.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com