[Beowulf] Green Cluster?

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Mon Jul 21 09:42:57 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:20:54PM -0700, fkruggel at uci.edu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering whether there is any mechanism to automatically
> power down nodes (e.g., ACPI S3) when idle for some time, and
> automatically wake up when requested (e.g., by WOL, some cluster
> scheduler, ssh). I imagine that I could cut down power & cooling
> on our system by more than 50%. Any hints?

The key is whether S3 is supported on your nodes; it's usually not
on servers.

Once you have that, there are a various of resource manager issues
to contend with--such work is being investigated and GIYF here.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.