[Beowulf] how do I get started?

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Thu Jul 17 07:55:45 PDT 2008

Amir:
See below,

Mark Kosmowski wrote:
> I have a small cluster too (ok, had, I'm condensing to one big RAM
> workstation at the moment).  Mine was a 3 node dual Opteron setup.
>
> The first trick is to get each node to be able to ssh to every other
> node without getting a password prompt.  It doesn't matter for the
> calculation whether this is done by passwordless ssh or using some
> keychain type applet.  All that matters for the calculation is that
> each node be able to ssh without prompt to each other node.  This
> means n! checks.  For my 3 node baby cluster I did this manually,
> since 3! is 6.  More nodes - might want to make a script or something.

Here is an example with one-lined "script" for the ssh password less logon:

http://wiki.neuralbs.com/index.php/Howto_Build_a_Basic_Gentoo_Beowulf_Cluster#Passwordless_Logon_to_the_Nodes_and_Node_List_Creation
> Next, you need to make your application parellel.  This typically
> involves compiling with some sort of MPI.  I use OpenMPI.  MPICH is
> another option.  This is going to be part of the learning curve.  When
> you can <mpirun hostname> and get an output for each CPU (each core?)
> you're ready to start wrestling with an MPI compile of your
> application code.
>
> If you're not used to compiling your own code, there may be a bit of a
> learning curve for this also.

Well... once I "finish" my Google Summer of Code project, people like
you will have a fun playground with graphical examples (as well as
serious people for serious HPC...but they won't admit to that and keep
using RH as an OS :P)

http://soc.gentooexperimental.org/projects/show/gentoo-cluster-seed
> Good luck!
>
> Mark E. Kosmowski