[Beowulf] A press release

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Thu Jul 10 08:07:30 PDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Robert G. Brown wrote:
--snip--
> Aye, laddy, 'twas a PDP 1 with sense switches on the front that one did
> indeed toggle in the paper tape boot program (to get it to where it
> could read from other media), a green oscilloscope-style CRT for a
> monitor (complete with crosshatches IIRC), a real teletype console, and
> the ability to run simple fortran programs that did beam optic
> computations and displayed a simple visualization of same.  The PDP
> itself was quite large, and I was told that it "had a few bad bits..."
> but that they usually didn't affect the outcome of a computation.

I'm on the PDP-1 and IBM 1620 Restoration Teams at the Computer History Museum
(see: http://www.computerhistory.org/pdp-1/). So if the PDP-1 was your first
computer (and one NEVER forgets their first computer) you can see it in
action (running Spacewar!, Minskytron, Music, etc.) at the CHM!

In fact, if your visiting Silicon Valley, I'll give you a private tour!

> I was kidding about the teeth, though.

;-)

> Next (if things go as they usually do) we all have to kid around about
> IBM 5100's and QIC (floppies are just plain too modern for me:-) but if
> I do that the Titorheads will attack and I'll have to once again
> unconvincingly deny that I am, in fact, John Titor.

Those of us who volunteer at the Computer History Museum feel we are "time
traveler's" for sure...

Funny combination - setting up Beowulf clusters and restoring vintage
computers. There must be a lesson here :-)

Cheers,
Lyle

--
Lyle Bickley