[Beowulf] which version of the gpl

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jul 7 06:33:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Jon Aquilina wrote:

> what is the difference between version 2 and 3?

In a nutshell:  2 is/was on everything in the gnu universe until about a
year ago, but the gnu lawyers were concerned about a few technical
points so they invented 3 which is marginally stronger.  If you want to
read the whole story GIYF, as always.  I think there is an explanation
on both the FSF site and the Fedora site (at least) and there was even a
discussion on this a year or so ago here that is probably in the list
archives.

    rgb