[Beowulf] zfs tuning for HJPC/cluster workloads?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jul 5 19:50:21 PDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
>
>> I think I understand why they don't want benchmarks published.
>
> :-)
>
> Don't forget that FreeBSD 7 includes ZFS support, so
> there's another option for you there.

Not sure we can do this, as the user is looking at Linux and Solaris.
Introducing a third element might not fly (and the commercial software
they want to run is restricted to Linux, Windows, and Solaris).

> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS
>
> https://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

Maybe we will try benchmarking with that.

>> I just want this file system to be about on par with
>> its Linux counterpart on the same hardware.
>
> I reckon if you're going to compare apples to apples
> then you probably want to test it against a Linux
> checksumming filesystem, the only real contender
> I'm aware of being btrfs (still pre-alpha).
>
> http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/
>
> Alternatively you can disable checksumming on a ZFS
> volume and retest it against XFS, etc.
>
> zfs set checksum=off  foo/bar

I did turn off checksum, zil, and other things.  No dice.  Zfs does not
appear to do well with hardware accelerated RAID.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com